View Single Post
Old March 19, 2017, 05:40 PM   #3
AKexpat

Quote:
On top of that, my Dad's wingmaster 870 had a mechanical failure so that means we ran about 300 rounds through my Stoeger double barrel. At that many rounds not only is it now broken in, but by the end of it neither of us wanted to shoot it, since it was as my dad put it, "like shooting with a 4x4" (timber).

So the question I'm leading into is, are there muzzle brakes available for my shotgun, which has screw-in chokes, to help mitigate some of the recoil. I've seen the brakes on other (admittedly very high end) double barrels. I've done a little research but I haven't seen anything discussing if Stoeger barrel threads are different than other brands.

I plan to put a recoil reducing pad on the butt if these competition shoots become a regular thing for my dad and I. I only have the one shotgun so using something else for skeet shooting is out. Here's a picture of my baby for the long-winded post.
You are a bit vague about your Dad's 870 failure. I worked at a now non-existant place in Norfolk Nebraska (Roberts' Shooting Park, on the property of Roberts' Dairy Farm: It is now the site of a Community College) in 69'-70', pulling and setting for trap and skeet, for $1.50/hr., no bennies. I used an 870 exclusively for skeet (12 gauge IC choke, 26" barrel). Never had a problem with it. Rem 870's are pretty much bulletproof so it should be an easy fix.

When I was a teenager in the 60's my Dad had two Fox Sterlingworth doubles with double triggers, and neither had a recoil pad. The 20 gauge (choked mod and IC) weighed about 5 lbs., had a large drop at the comb, and would beat one to death in one round of skeet with target loads. Great to carry in the field for birds if one only had to kill one every so often. The 12 gauge was heavy and was choked mod and full, so I never shot it much.

Quote:
Muzzle brakes work by directing gases to the side or sometimes angled to the rear.

Shotguns work at lower pressure's and anything you screw into the barrel just won't work that well.

Reduce recoil by using lighter loadings, or add weight to the gun.
I shot skeet with a friend back then who had a beautiful Winchester Model 12 20 gauge field grade with a Cutts Compensator. Very nice shotgun but with the Cutts it was LOUD, and I don't know how much it cut the recoil. (Those were the days when not many folks cared about hearing protection, and as pullers on the skeet/trap field, we had to hear the "pull" commands.) I shot it for one round of skeet, but I preferred my 870 with the weight and the gauge, and Mike was very good with the 12. He beat me every time and we never, ever, went 25 straight.

Sorry, old time rememberences.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries