View Single Post
Old November 29, 2010, 08:33 PM   #47
Doodlebugger45

Well, theshepard makes a very valid point. There are some people who REALLY SHOULD NOT get into reloading. It would be a catastrophe for some of my friends to try it. You really do have to have a streak of OCD or perhaps perfectionism built into you to do it safely and accurately.

If you took college chemistry lab and really liked the precision involved in that, then reloading might be something you enjoy. If you like working on car engines and getting every last part blueprinted and balanced, then reloading is right up your alley. If perchance, you really get excited about the technical details of different diesel engines, then you're a natural.

But if you're the type when doing home improvement type carpentry who thinks a tape measure is an unnecessary nuisance, that just "eyeballing it" is good enough, you will not do well as a reloader. Same thing if you think maintenance on your ATV or truck is optional, then reloading isn't your thing.

Likewise, there was a long period in my life when I knew that my circumstances would not support a reloading habit. I read about it all the time and wanted to do it, but when you have kids, dogs, horses, wives running around demanding constant attention, that is not the optimum setting for reloading. You need a certain amount of time and space that will guarantee uninterrupted concentration. Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

For some of us, the reloading act itself is comparable to the shooting in terms of giving us enjoyment. But it is something that cannot be taken lightly. It is fun for most of us of course. But the consequences of a screw up can be very severe indeed.

Page generated in 0.02917 seconds with 8 queries