View Single Post
Old June 14, 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

When is a compressed load dangerous?

I need the benefit of experience for this one! How much can you compress a stick powder?

I’m attempting to work up a load for my 30.06 using a 180 grain Nosler Accu Bond ahead of 57 grains of H-4350. I’m using CCI large rifle primers and Remington brass, since I have a ton of it.

For this bullet the Nosler manual says the most accurate load tested was 57.5 grains of H-4350, which is also the maximum load. I decided to try 57.0 grains. The book C.O.L. (3.300) is way too long for my rifle. I’m seating to a depth of 3.285, which puts the bullet about 15 thousandths off the lands, but 57 grains of H-4350 fills the case to a smidgeon below the neck.

This is unfamiliar turf! The bullet is really compressing the powder and I’m beginning to have second thoughts. That’s why I haven’t actually tested the load yet. How much compression is too much? What are the dangers involved, if any?

I could reduce the charge and/or go to a different powder, but this question will still haunt me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Page generated in 0.02211 seconds with 8 queries