View Single Post
Old April 3, 2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJACKET
Theo, can I get you to explain the mount further?
When a gun has a barrel that's fixed in place and doesn't move, all you need to do is attach a silencer to it and you're good to go. But when you have a Browning-type locked-breech handgun where the barrel tips up as part of the unlocking process (most center-fire pistols are like this; your SIGs are perfect examples), the extra weight of the silencer on the end of the barrel can cause the gun to malfunction.

That's why most center-fire pistol silencers have a piston assembly that allows the silencer to move in a way that compensates for the added weight and allows a locked-breech pistol to function properly. This piston is also called a Nielsen device, a booster, or a LID (linear inertial decoupler). While it's fine to use a silencer without a LID on a locked-breech handgun (it won't hurt anything, the pistol will just malfunction), it's not a good idea to use a silencer with a LID on a fixed barrel gun like a rifle or a blowback-operated .22 handgun. The silencer can bounce back and forth in an odd way and damage the threads. It's not a big deal on low-recoiling .22, but it's still a good idea to use a fixed-barrel mount. Most fixed-barrel mounts are just spacers that replace the LID spring to keep the silencer from moving, but the Octane fixed-barrel mount removes the LID entirely.

Quote:
My conversion kit is a a Sig 22LR conversion for a a Sig P226. Does the fixed mount work on this set up?
Yes. Your SIG .22LR conversion kit uses a fixed barrel and a 1/2x28 thread pattern. If your fixed-barrel mount is also threaded in 1/2x28 it will work just fine.

Quote:
Theo, I read your write ups. Great job. I really enjoyed reading them. It does make me curious about cleaning. I will have to check into that.
Thanks! If you have any other questions (or if I did a bad job explaining something) feel free to ask!

Last edited by Theohazard; April 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries