View Single Post
Old November 15, 2010, 05:05 AM   #1
HeadedNorth

Lee Enfield - Replacement Magazine & General Warnings

My brother has recently been given a Lee Enfield rifle from a mutual friend. I've only examined the rifle once and do not have it available for further referencing. As the rifle was a gift and my brother and I know nearly nothing about it, I hit the net looking for some answers. I am unaware (though based on what I've read, I can suspect) how the magazine became so severely damaged, but prior to my knowing anything about the weapons existence my brother had already attempted to "repair" it with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

It's OK, I won't get offended if you laugh at my brother, I know I did when I saw what he had done to the magazine in his frustration.

For information: between my brother and I, I am the one who does the handloads, I'm the one who cleans and maintains the weapons and performs what minimal smithing / repairs there is to be done. He enjoys a periodic trip to the range, I'm the one who is passionate about it and goes every week (when possible).

So, on to the question. I've found any number of sites which will aid me in the identification of the rifle, but as I do not have it at present it is my intention to ask my brother to photograph it and email it to me for ID purposes. The question I would pose of you is related to a replacement magazine for said rifle. Are the magazines universal to the design? I know from another thread that the .303 & .308 are not interchangeable but is there a compatibility issue between the various versions of the rifle? Can someone link me a resource to help me identify which magazine will work and possibly a manufacturer of a good quality reproduction mag? Anything I should know about this rifle, potential pitfalls, you are inclined to warn about? (I've read about the magazine designed to remain in situ, pretty confident that is what resulted in the aforementioned damage.)

Thank you in advance for your time and comments.

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries