View Single Post
Old January 23, 2000, 09:55 PM   #13
Jake 98c/11b

skdtac, sorry for the confusion, I was afraid this would happen. When I posted my reply I was tired and was not explaining things clearly but I think you misunderstand what I tried to say. If you look again you will see I said "with night sights the tritium lamp is below the top of the post". As best I can remember, my military manuals tell me this is why the standard A2 rear sight leaf has the small apeture and the large apeture on a slightly different vertical plane. The large apeture is for low light, if your pupil dialates to a diameter larger than the sight apeture you can not see through it. In poor light the pupil opens to allow enough light in to see clearly, if the apeture is smaller than your pupil you cannot receive enough light through it to see. Because the large apeture was originally intended as a low light sight it was bored on a lower plane to correspond to the lower position of the tritium lamp in the front sight post. You said much the same in your post and better than I did the first time through.
I have nothing against the Ashley sights in general, I just don't believe it is the best tool for this job. The Ashley sight has a wider front post and the rounded top doesn't give as precise aiming point for smaller or farther targets. If used as you describe I don't doubt it will do exactly what you say, but it lacks (at least a little) the precision of the standard front sight profile. This may well be of little signifigance, in practical terms, but I am not willing to spend the money to find out. Part of my reasoning for avoiding the Ashley sights is that I would not be allowed to use them on my issue M-16 but I can get away with using the Trijicon front sight. I say this to let you guys know why I have come to the conclusions I explain. If your circumstances differ, as I'm sure they do, your decision might well be different.
I just realized that my marksmanship manual is an older one and the discussion of the rear sight apeture might be explained in a different manner in the newer one. Even if the newer manual talks about using the large apeture for close in moving targets and explains the plane shift as a better match a short range zero it still compensates for the lower position of the tritium lamp in the front sight. I want to stress that my recollection from my old army marksmanship manual might well be faulty. I will try to dig it out when I get home but it may take days to find. Anyone else have access to the same info? Does this clear things up any?

Page generated in 0.03418 seconds with 8 queries