View Single Post
Old July 26, 2020, 01:02 AM   #2
Scorch

I built a 7BR for my son's first deer rifle about 4-5 years ago, he loves it. BR brass is still available, the 6mm BR Norma has the same dimensions except for a longer neck. But I can see the appeal of having something with more pizzazz and power. So yes, you can convert your XP to a more powerful cartridge, but there are several caveats:
* the front action screw on the XP action has a recessed screw hole, so you only have a few threads holding the action into the stock. Anything with any serious recoil will strip it out in just a few shots. Had this situation last year with a long range XP shooter.

* The rear screw goes through the top of the action into the stock, so any serious torque or recoil can pull that right out of the stock

* The XP barrel is short, With the BR case that's not an issue because you can choose faster powder, With a larger case you would gain a little velocity but burn most of the powder outside of the barrel. Yes, you could rebarrel but you still have the first issue above, you will ruin the threads with recoil.

Short answer? Yes, it can be done. Maybe rebarrel to a different cartridge like a 7mm IHMSA or 250 Savage? I was laways kinda disappointed the BR never really caught on. And some XPs are being converted to rifles because there isn't a lot of silhouette shooting going on any more.

Page generated in 0.03841 seconds with 8 queries