View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018, 05:10 AM   #10
bamaranger

150's

I've gotten good results, both in accuracy, and kills, with the 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter in two .308 hunting rifles. The ProHunter remains reasonably affordable too. One rifle is twisted 1-12 and will not shoot anything heavier than 150 very well. The other is a a lightweight, short barreled, twisted 1-10, and the 150's help keep down recoil. I can only talk about whitetails, but I see no need for a .30 caliber controlled expansion, premium bullet on deer under 200 lbs, which is every whitetail I've ever shot. I'll add that I've only killed three whitetails in the 200 yd range, and none any further, so I'll hold off on long range expansion comments.

I have a third .308 hunter that has an affinity for the older "soft", .30 caliber Nosler ballistic-tip. It shoots them lights out tight, and the older b-tip expands very well on our deer. I read that the newer .30 b-tip is tougher, suitable for elk and such, and I doubt if that is the case if they will expand as well on our average whitetails. A few years back, I had a chance to buy 3 boxes of the old, 100 count .30/180 b-tips, but the price was high and I only had the cash for one box I figured. I regret that decision regularly.

Page generated in 0.02227 seconds with 8 queries