View Single Post
Old August 26, 2005, 03:36 PM   #15
BlueSix

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the pepper spray idea.

The woman had already been stabbed (I have to assume that the perp stopped stabbing her once shot, and she had to go to the hospital, hence being stabbed before shooting occurred).

To stab someone, you have to be pretty close to them, and I wouldn't trust pepper spray to be accurate in that type of a situation unless I was fairly close. Being fairly close to someone with a knife who is obviously willing to use it is not a place I'd like to be without a loaded gun in hand.

If you miss with the spray, or he sees you before you deploy it, or if it has no or not enough effect on him, I'd bet it wouldn't take long for the perp to close the distance to you. I'm guessing that you would not have time to draw, aim, and fire before you have a knife in your belly, or worse.

Also, in my opinion, aside from the practicality, I think that pepper spray is a fundamentally wrong response to someone that is actively KILLING another person. I would feel justified in using deadly force if I saw someone threatening a victim with a knife. Someone who holds a knife to someone isn't playing around, and a knife is a very very deadly weapon even in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to be 'lethal' with it.

Just my 2c. Hopefully none of us ever find ourselves in a situation such as this.

-B6

Page generated in 0.04462 seconds with 8 queries