View Single Post
Old December 21, 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
wyobohunter

Quote:
The problem with pistol powders (Unique, Red dot, and such) is they don't take up much room in the case, meaning inconsistent velocities, depending on how the powder lies in the case with the rifle is fired.
None of the above statement is consistent with my (limited) experience using red dot for this load.

1- Loads used up around 50% of case capacity in 30-06. Red dot is not as "fluffy" as Trail Boss. But it's not bad and I have a bunch of it.

2-Although my testing only consisted of 3 shots for each load, velocity was pretty consistent with all. And extremely consistent with one of them (12.5 gr ~ 3 fps SD).

3-I didn't worry about powder position in the case when testing. May make a difference if I were shooting at an extreme up/down angle. Haven't tried that.

And yes- I need to start casting my own. Some day. For now I have more expendable income than time. Not that I have gobs of cash laying around, but the occasional box of jacketed bullets for experimental purposes doesn't break the bank.
Thanks

Page generated in 0.03292 seconds with 8 queries