View Single Post
Old March 10, 2015, 02:42 PM   #48
old bear

Door Reinforcement,

My set up is close to the O/P's, strong door jam, with a deadbolt heavy duty screen door. One other tip. When facing the door, set main door hinged to the left side and screen door hinged to the right. The reason is, screen door has to be held open by something or someone to get to the lock/jam of the main door. This is not much but in an emergency every second or two can make a huge difference.

Added:
Quote:
As a deputy sheriff, I saw a couple of cases where the home owner had steel doors and that kind of reinforcement. The bad guys crashed trucks through the plain old 2x4 wall, one through French doors. Another gang used half a railroad tie as a battering ram to drive a window air-conditioner back through the opening.

Sort of like those pick proof locks. Maybe the FBI picks locks, maybe the CIA picks locks, but I have never known of any burglar who picked a lock. Most burglars are about as subtle as an armored strike force.

Jim
James, you are correct, but I still go on the theory that "locks only keep honest people honest." If someone wants in my or any house badly enough they will find a way in, but I'm going to try and make them work hard to get in.

Last edited by old bear; March 10, 2015 at 02:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.03246 seconds with 8 queries