View Single Post
Old November 1, 2001, 07:32 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Re-examining the HD 410...

I caught some flack recently (not on this BB) about a comment I had made concerning 410s. It was friendly, and someone rubbed my nose in it gently.

Sporting uses of the 410 are quite limited,IMO. The miniscule shot load limits effect and range, and the biggest critter the 410 is effective on is an Alpha-Male Grey Squirrel,IMO.

So, being a Manly Man, full of testosterone and good intentions, I've been telling folks to get a REAL shotgun and leave the puny 410 alone. Silly me...

Not everyone is 1/8 ton, tough and LIKES that little push when a full power 12 ga load kisses your shoulder good bye. I keep forgetting that.

My Sicilian Granny(T'other one was mostly Cherokee) was frugal to a fault. When she decided that a house gun was a good idea in her changing 'hood, she brought out HER father's Iver Johnson Owl Head 32, nickle plated of course, and not fired since the 30s. She tried a 38 of mine, but it was too much kick for her. Did I mention she was well into her 70s at the time? Anyway, some fresh ammo, a complete TD clean/lube and a few lessons had her able to hit a softball sized target across the room every time, briskly.

There's lots of folks out there due to size, age, temperament, health, etc, that could benefit from having an effective firearm, but cannot handle well a regular shotgun, and they may be barred from owning any handguns. NYC and DC come to mind.

Area news has mentioned some home invasions of the elderly recently, and one woman was killed.

So, how effective can the tiny 410 be for HD?

As the person who rubbed my nose mentioned....

One very effective defense loading is the 41 Mag Police load, a 210 gr lead SWC at about 900 FPS. This was an excellent LE load, but the N frame was too large for easy carry by many folks, and the kick slowed down repeat shots.I had a Model 58 S&W for a while long ago, it was a fine HD tool.

A 1/2 oz load weighs about 216 grains. My well thumbed Lyman reloading Manual shows 2 1/2" 410 loads as running 1100-1300 FPS, well above that 41 Mag load with its 95% or better one shot stop record. IOW,one of those Mossie 500 410s, the 870 equivalent, or that 94 Winchester job equates to a 41 Mag carbine at close to very close ranges.

Downside? Shotguns are very effective for defense because they dump a tremendous amount of energy int the target. 410s do not share that advantage, but it's obvious they have more energy to transfer than most handgun cartridges.

And, this is close range only. If the action takes place or moves outside, that energy dissipates fast with the spread of the pattern.

By and large, the person who needs a HD tool but is not allowed to or cares to have a handgun, doesn't shoot much and does not want the recoil and weight of a large bore shotgun may be well prepared with one of these.

Questions, comment, donations?

BTW, I'm now going into the kitchen and making some Bearnaise sauce. If I have to eat my words, I want them to be palatable...

Last edited by Dave McC; November 1, 2001 at 08:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.02943 seconds with 8 queries