View Single Post
Old March 31, 2018, 12:01 AM   #90
NWPilgrim

As 44 AMP pointed out, a legislative bill like this would have little hope of being passed in Oregon. But a ballot initiative is almost guaranteed to pass no matter, or maybe because of, how idiotic it is. Tyranny of the masses in living color!

----

Even though the legislature is probably 2/3 Democrat, it has been a better firewall against rights encroachment than the general public and courts.

Remember, the Constitution and especially Bill of Rights were written to protect the individuals and States from an overbearing central government and "tyranny of masses" (majority rule). The 2A should be a pre-emption against States or the Federal government passing any laws that "infringe" on keeping or bearing arms (particularly those suitable for a militia). But the USSC has trampled on that concept over and over. Also recall that most gun laws have originated from the idea to suppress an unpopular minority.

As an Oregonian this is the most concerned I have been with any new State gun laws since McCain came here to help "close the gun show loop hole." I doubt there will be much compliance on this bill and hopefully many legal challenges that get it overturned. If passed, I will likely be moving to Idaho where I have extended family still enjoying some freedom.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 31, 2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: left/right politics.

Page generated in 0.03234 seconds with 8 queries