Thread: Drop the Knife!
View Single Post
Old March 25, 2001, 08:36 AM   #20
Ken Cook

heisenberg,
You put great weight in the assertion that civilization disappears when the lights go out and that's why we all stocked ammo for Y2K. (Yes, I did.) However the point you miss is that <b>I</b> will not join in the de-evolution. I will not be a looter. I recognize that my NEED is not a claim on my neighbor, no matter what the circumstance.

Where do I draw the line at helping my fellow man?
Somewhere around "Certain Death." If there is a "reasonable chance" of survival, then I must act. In other words, I would not jump into a raging river to save someone if I didn't know how to swim. Doing so would only create TWO victims for someone ELSE to save, this is not ethical behavior, only foolishness on my part if I were dumb enough to do so.
However, in the given scenario, we CLEARLY have the means at hand to successfully deal with the situation.

As to your closing comment,
<b>Do you think that these same "civilized" people care about your right to bear arms? Will they support your family financially for the next 50 years if you die or become crippled? If life were so precious, why aren't THEY doing something to protect it?</b>

It matters not what others may or may not care about, nor what they choose to do. I am the captain of but only one destiny, and that is my own.

A pretty way of saying, just because the rest of the world may choose to bugger their brother doesn't mean I will do the same.

My thanks to Doc Hudson for stating things so eloquently, I hope I have added to that statement, rather than detracted from it.

Page generated in 0.03447 seconds with 8 queries