View Single Post
Old August 23, 2010, 01:31 PM   #18
JonnyP

Casparado,

Even though you've already completed your work, I thought I might offer the following.

I bought a Sturdy Safe about a year ago and had the same question: how do I get it off the pallet? So I called Sturdy and got the skinny. They said to take two 2X4s and place them longways against (pointing towards) the side of the pallet, then "walk" the safe to them so that over 1/2 the length of the bottom of the safe is on the boards. Since the boards are not as thick as the pallet, the safe will be leaning toward the boards. Then it's much easier get the pallet out from under the safe.

Sturdy also said to place a couple of thick steel washers under each corner so the safe is not resting directly on the concrete floor. After we (a strong neighbor and myself) got it into place, I rented a concrete drill and bolted it to the floor in the garage.

Beyond that, I bought a dry-rod from Sturdy and had them drill a hole through the back of the safe for the power cord, then put one of those plug-in (to dry it out) desicant thingys (got mine from Dick's Sporting Goods) on the floor of the safe next to the dry-rod. I'm double protected against moisture and humidity since I live in a humid area. I recharge the thing from Dick's about every six months and keep the dry-rod plugged in year-round. So far, I have seen zero problems with rust on any of my guns.

I also keep ammo in there on the top shelf. Is there a better place to store ammo? Maybe there is. But I prefer to keep it where I know no one else can get to it.

Just my $0.02.

Page generated in 0.03964 seconds with 8 queries