View Single Post
Old June 11, 2009, 04:43 PM   #62
spacemanspiff

Quote:
If someone breaking into my home or sticking a gun into my face on the street, I am not going to be thinking is this legal or moral, I am going to be thinking "I don't want to die". Unless you are a very rare person the taking of another person's life no matter how thuggish is going to change yours forever.
In that particular moment, the only thing you should expect is for your mind to react how you have set your mind.
This is what we are doing now, discussing our mindsets.

Erslands mindset may have been 'Shoot to Kill! Shoot to slidelock, reload, then shoot again!', and if thats how he set his mind, then that would be how we should expect his mind to respond.
(Note I am saying 'expect', not saying its 100% beyond a doubt how the mind will react).

Think of it this way: How do you want everyone to comment on your mindset, in the aftermath of a defensive shooting? Do you want your friends, peers, family, to say "He/She is a kindhearted person, never wanted to do harm to anyone, but if anyone put their life at risk or that of their children, they would do whatever it took to ensure their safety"?

Or are those friends and family going to say "Gee I dunno, every time I visited them at home they greeted me at the door with a pistol in hand, and if I ever walked in the front door without them I heard the clicking of hammers being cocked, the sign at the door said "We don't call 911". Every time I sat on the couch I'd find I was sitting on a loaded magazine or gun (funny they never called it a couch, they called it a 'Tactical reload/rearming location 1')."

Quote:
Retreating is when you leave the scene entirely and yield it to the aggressor
Only if you are Denethor and you are irritated that Faramir gave up Osgilliath.

Page generated in 0.03136 seconds with 8 queries