Thread: Active Shooters
View Single Post
Old August 31, 2008, 10:09 PM   #24
macmonkey

B.A.R.

I too took part in a similar police training experience being just an every day citizen with an awesome famliy member in the high ranks of one of the best police training programs in the U.S.

From my research there is an extreme condition called Body Alarm Reaction that for a number of reasons will cause extreme tunnel vision, loss of hearing, fatigue, loss of fine motor skills and much more. This being the case - it's important to practice (both at home when dry firing from holster and at the range) lowering to the ready position and concentrating on breath, awareness and basically coming back down to earth.

There are a number of cases where the PD arrives on a self defense scene and the shooter is disoriented and has put himself in great harm by not recognizing police commands etc..

While training with the police in our live fire drills part of their line command was "lower - make ready... breath...address additional threat...etc". The point is you need to be prepared for your internal response to the situation.

I'm reading a pretty good book right now called Armed Response by David Kenik. He spends a good deal of time speaking about this exact scenario. In one example an off-duty cop had drawn on 2 suspects that had just robbed a store. While experiencing B.A.R. 2 cops pulled up and not recognizing him as a cop ordered him to drop his firearm - he obliviously turned aim over at the cops and was immediately shot and killed.

Page generated in 0.02228 seconds with 8 queries