View Single Post
Old April 24, 2021, 01:24 PM   #63
bamaranger

kicking the ant hill

Sorry guys, I think I kicked the ant hill w/ my post about cross dominance and SXS shotguns. I was simply relating my Dad's experience and attitude towards a SXS he shot briefly for a while. I've not hunted a SXS enough to form an opinion, but I have a Lanber O/U that I shot a bit and with which I did quite well.

I like the idea of instant choke selection, whether with triggers or a safety/selector. But on flushing game, I have not shot either enough to be able to claim I always pick the correct barrel on the flush. I do a some better on pass shooting.

As some folks may know, my passion is spring gobbler hunting. I hunt a pump nearly always, but have thought for a good many years that the perfect turkey gun may be a selective double, one barrel turkey super full, the other modified, to allow a more open choke on really close gobblers coming to call or decoys. One could vary shot size and loads too, larger shot, 3" premium turkey load in the tight barrel , smaller shot with a field load or short mag in the more open choke. A #5 and #7-1/2 combo might really be something. The compact receiver of a double would allow a 26" barreled gun to have a shorter overall length than a 24" pump or auto, and just a wee bit longer than a 20-21" barreled pump. In a sub gauge, 16 or 20, it will likely be a good bit lighter too.

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries