View Single Post
Old July 10, 2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Slamfire

Quote:
I have never concerned myself with sensitivity in the powder.
Neither have I. Those extreme powders may be less temperature sensitive than non extreme powders, but I have blown primers with them, just as I have blown primers with IMR 4064. I don't know and cannot verify the less temperature sensitive claims for these powders and you know what, I don't care. Shoot enough cartridges in hot weather and you will figure out that pressure is not your friend and that loading to maximum levels produce stuck cases and pierced primers. Regardless of powder, I back off whenever I see pressure indications. I don't want to have to pull out the cleaning rod and knock the case out of the chamber, for one thing, it ruins my scores in highpower matches. I want accurate rounds that give reliable feed and extraction. I can't count the number of times I have developed loads, with regular powders and the so called "extreme powders", only to use them in a match and find overpressure loads when the rifle heated up. I don't know why I did not experience the problems developing, but next time I reload with that combination, I cut the loads. And I keep cutting till I have zero extraction issues in all conditions.

What these manufacturers of powder are encouraging is something called "Normalization Of Deviation" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/great-..._13059988.html They teach you that you can get closer to the cliff edge because they have made some whoop de do great powder, but what you will find, is that you will fall off the cliff, and a little sooner than you expect.

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries