View Single Post
Old August 3, 2006, 05:09 PM   #5
CDH

Quote:
M1991 said:
Personally, I would not be comfortable carrying concealed if the only training I had was a state-mandated CCW class.
Definitely with you on that one. The course does offer some guidance, but I have to think that there is only one reason for the class. And that is to make sure that you show at a place where you can be identified and fingerprinted in order to get you "on the books" so that a reasonable background check on your past can be done.

The written test is easy unless you have short term memory loss, and you'll probably pass the shooting portion if you can avoid shooting anyone. I understand that the shooting test was originally a requirement to hit the broad side of a barn... from the inside, but there is a shortage of barns in urban areas.

Seriously, if you fail any portion of the CCW test, you shouldn't be carrying a weapon anyway. Additionally, I would highly suggest that if someone is serious about defense, they should continue training by getting some personal, tactical lessons, and it wouldn't hurt at all to take up the hobby of tactical shooting through an organization such as the IDPA.
http://www.idpa.com/

Beyond the tactical and safety part, there's also the psychological part to explore. It's important to keep your head straight about the seriousness of carrying a lethal weapon. Tactical instructors can give a person a lot of things to think about along those lines as well.

Bottom line is that the CCW course is in no way "training". It's just a dance you do to get your permit.

Carter

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries