View Single Post
Old November 4, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4648
BrownTrout

Strange pre-10?

Hi gentlemen. I just bought what I was told is a S&W pre-model 10. serial is 8572xx. The bbl. is 2 3/8" or so. There is no cartridge designation on the barrel (leading me to believe it was maybe cut-down), however the front sight/crown etc. appear to surely be factory, and when I asked the seller, he assured me it was not cut.

there is no shroud on the ejector rod, the left side of the revolver is completely blank (no stamping). The right side reads "Made in USA" above the trigger, and the S&W logo between the grip and cylinder. The number 92904 is stamped both on the crane and the inside of the frame, but is not the serial.

The cylinder has "ENGLAND" stamped on it once. There is a very small crown/BNP, spaced every-other chamber, a total of 3 around.

It appears it was chambered in .38-200 and the chambers updated to accept .38 special.

It is a 5-screw, checkered (rather than smooth wartime) walnut grips, blued with case-color hammer and trigger. Hammer is narrow and finely checkered, trigger is grooved.

Does anyone out there know what I have? I don't know if it's rare or a chopped up classic...

Page generated in 0.03583 seconds with 8 queries