View Single Post
Old March 29, 2011, 08:39 PM   #10
P-990

Quote:
- how many people actually shoot compressed loads on a regular basis?

- if the hotter loads generate more pressure, is that pressure reduced in a shorter barrel or would the pressure be the same regardless of barrel length? Thanks.
Most of the ammunition I load for shooting Highpower matches is compressed, some more than others. As stated earlier, light compression doesn't hurt and some theorize it may lead to slightly improved ignition consistency. I will agree with the idea that in rifle cartridges compressed loads are generated by powders that are bordering too slow.

Peak pressure has nothing to do with barrel length, it is strictly measured at the chamber. That barrel could be 4" or 34", peak chamber pressure will be the same.

As for powder suitability, the slowest powders will generate the highest velocities, regardless of barrel length. The best example I have experience with is in the .44 Magnum. Winchester 296 gives me the highest velocity with either a 6" revolver or a 20" rifle. The downside is that blast and flash are more pronounced with shorter barrels and slow powders. But that's the price you pay for maximum performance.

Page generated in 0.02253 seconds with 8 queries