View Single Post
Old April 23, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Horseman

Remington finish

Remington's "bowling pin" finish is not polyurethane. It's a 2 part urethane clear coat. In the 80's and 90's it used to be DuPont IMRON line(and maybe still is). IMRON was and is still used to paint tractor trailers and heavy equipment. I have an early 90's Remington catalogue that actually mentions the IMRON by name. Technically it is an epoxy because it has s hardener added to the paint like any other automotive clear. IMRON is extremely durable and can be touched up with automotive clear from your auto parts store. Spray can or the little fingernail polish type touch up bottles of clear coat will match pretty well but this only works for scratches or small areas. If you have areas with no finish I'd guess the rest of the finish is not pristine. I'd respray the whole thing with automotive clear so it all matches.

If Remington isn't using IMRON anymore I'm sure they're still using a similar 2part automotive grade finish. The finish on these is still extremely hard. Polyurethane contains no hardner and relies on oils air drying to harden.

Page generated in 0.02507 seconds with 8 queries