View Single Post
Old March 4, 2008, 11:24 PM   #3
mykeal

I use those stones on my revolvers.

I 'stone' every new acquisition to remove burrs and smooth up the action. When I get a new gun I usually put 50-100 shots through it to get the parts started 'wearing in'. Once it starts feeling smoother I completely disassemble and polish every surface and contact point where two parts come together using the stones. Of particular interest in every gun is the channel the hand moves in, the end of the hand itself, the part of the hand spring that bears against the channel wall, the bolt surfaces that engage the cylinder notches, the edges and bearing surfaces of the trigger/bolt spring, the bearing surface of the hammer cam, the trigger sear, the half and full cock notches on the hammer (be very careful with these notches and the sear). What else? Can't recall right now, but essentially anyplace that bears against another place with either in motion.

When I have to replace parts I first fit the new parts and then polish them to ease in the wear pattern. Usually the new parts start out working just as smooth as the parts they replaced. Saves breaking in a new gun with just one part.

The three stones each have surfaces that fit nicely in certain places on the Colt single action parts and surfaces. It's something you just have to try out to see.

Last edited by mykeal; March 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries