View Single Post
Old May 22, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
renaissance7697

"Optimum" Length for barrels

Ok
I've been playing around without reliable facts for long enough.
Time to ask for help from those who know more than I ( I would hope).

I have a TC Contender in carbine configuration.
I shoot at an indoor range which is limited to 25 Yards and "Pistol" ammunition calibers.

I reload and am trying to "simulate/emulate?" bench rest reloading and shooting for accuracy.
( At age 71 it is getting too hard to "stand up and shoot like a man" with consistently satisfactory results )

I have already gathered the following barrels for my Contender:
16 1/2 " .45 Winchester Magnum
and
18 " .357 Maximum

Adjustable Objective Scopes (3x-12x) mounted on each.

I've got both these printing three shots basically into one hole at my maximum 25 yards ( on a bad day at worst a "tight" cloverleaf )
I load 230 FMJ in the 45 and "was" using 180 FMJ in the 357, but I think I will go to 158 FMJ on the 357 to "standardize" my 357 bullets for bulk buys ( I shoot 357 Magnum in other pistols and levers )

Question is:
What are the guidelines for optimum Barrel lengths when shooting .45 Win Mag and 357 Max.

I need to keep the length over 16" to make the "carbine" "legal" ....
but what am I doing to the ballistics and accuracy by getting barrels longer that this.

I have been searching for a used 16+ barrel in 44 Magnum and can't find one.
Are there none out there
or
Are they soo good that people hang on to them?

As an aside:
Trying various loads with the 45 Win Mag
I found that 23 g of H110 with a 230 FMJ seems to give the best Accuracy, but the recoil was driving the scope dangerously close to my shooting glasses.
I found the 10 g of HP38 was very near as accurate and a lot less punishing.

Also
Shooting regular 357 MAGNUM rounds out of the 357 MAXIMUM barrel printed ( at 25 Yards ) EIGHT (8) Inches ABOVE the POI of my 357 MAXIMUM Loads.

I'm guessing > Longer barrel + lower velocity of 357 Magnum = Longer time in Barrel - Gives more "lift" to bullet -resulting in higher POI.
but
EIGHT INCHES ???

This leads me back to my original quiestion.

What is the "Optimum" barrel length for a Contender in Carbine Configuration - for accuracy ( I'm not hunting and trying to kill) at 25 Yards.

Why are there not more 44 Magnum Barrels in 16" + length
Is it a "Bad" idea ???

What other "Calebers" should I consider for my goals ( accuracy at 25 Yards in a "pistol" caliber.

I have been using H110 and HP38 because I found recepies for these and I had them on hand
Are there better choices?

I believe I will standardize on 230 and 158 grain Jacketed (semi or full)for 45 and 357 respectively.ads.

Page generated in 0.03957 seconds with 8 queries