View Single Post
Old February 13, 2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Doug.38PR

Quote:
but I believe the agents in Miami were in plain clothes and on foot when they approached. The idea was to surprise them, which is typical FBI thinking. The concealment factor played a role there
Then maybe the thing to do should have been track the criminals under the cover of plain clothes and unmarked cars rather than try to run them off the road and approach them (I think they cornered them or ran them off the road)
Then radio the local police to have nearby patrol cars (equipped with shotguns) standing by to make the arrest.

Quote:
They rarely ever inform us of an operation on our turf. So I can well believe that they never informed Miami Metro Dade PD of their operation.
And that might be why agents Gerald Dove and Benjamin Grogan are not alive today. It's to the FBI's benefit to cooperate as well. I believe the original intent of the FBI was to assist local law enforcement in investigations which would mean not only informing but working with local authorities. If I remember reading correctly, prior to the mid 30s they used to not be able to make an arrest or even carry arms without the local sheriff or police accompanying them. The rational was that people back then were worried about the FBI becoming a rogue national police force....wonder what ever gave them that idea Not that the FBI shouldn't be allowed to carry arms but from things like the Miami shootout and the personal event you describe we can see some of the wisdom in their thinking.

Page generated in 0.02414 seconds with 8 queries