View Single Post
Old May 29, 2000, 08:54 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've got an original Rolling Block action that was rebuilt using an old Numrich Arms .45/70 kit back in the '60s. The receiver is plenty strong for .45/70 and the like. The only part original is the receiver and the action. I bought it about 10 years ago IIRC for something like $500. Recently I had the original spring replaced as it finally broke.
Right now the big problem, I think, would be finding a barrel at an economical price. I don't know of anyone making a barrel commercially for Rolling Blocks though I'm sure they're out there. You may want to ask IAR if the threads are different from Remington barrel threads. It could be Husky used a different thread. Another possibility may be to rebore it to the .45 or .50 cal of your choice. Tayolr Firearms, EMF and some of the other companies imorting replicas would probably be the most economical route right now and companies such as Lonestar are a few hundred dollars more.
I think the Rolling Block action is probably one of the strongest of the single-shot actions and the center hammer makes it left-hand friendly, unlike the Sharps.
I love my Remington and shoot it quite often. Nowadays when shooting it, I find that I end up putting anywhere between 30 and 100 or so rounds through it. So much for single-shots being occasional shooters I usually send more rounds downrange with it than most any bolt action in my safe. It's really different to shoot then listen as the bullet strikes
BTW if you're going to the TFL End of Summer Meet this will definitely be there, pending disaster with it.

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries