Thread: .22 Pistols
View Single Post
Old September 19, 2013, 12:03 AM   #32
idek

I've had 4.

Walther P22
I got it with the 5" "target barrel," because I thought I'd like the longer sight radius and a little extra velocity. I later bought the regular 3.4" barrel sleeve and I liked the appearance and balance better this way. The sights and trigger were only so-so, and it often failed to feed the first cartridge or two when the magazines were loaded to capacity. It came with a laser sight that was fun at an indoor range, but it was too dim to be of much use outside (where I do 99% of my shooting). Sold the gun with little regret.

Browning Buckmark URX Camper
Came with 5.5" bull barrel. Replaced with Tactical Solutions 4" barrel, which dropped the weight from about 2 lbs. to 1.5 lbs. making it handy as a trail/camp gun. I've added Williams Firesights, which show up nicely even in limited daylight. I like the trigger. Not too fussy about ammo, but it doesn't seem to like Winchester Wildcats. Has the most comfortable grip (for me) of the four guns listed here.

Ruger MkIII Hunter
Stainless with 7.25" fluted barrel. Long barrel makes it quieter than the others and minimizes what little muzzle jump there is in a .22. Longer sight picture definitely helps my shooting, but I sometimes mount a red dot on it anyway. I maybe like the Buckmark trigger a little better, but I wouldn't complain about the Ruger. Eats any ammo I feed it. It's a bit long and heavy for a trail gun, but if I'm going for maximum accuracy from a handgun or were to hunt small game with a pistol, this be the gun I'd grab.

Taurus PT-22
The pistol has hand-filling grip, but can still fit in a pocket. It's not a bad-looking little thing and mine appears well-made. The small black sights, short sight radius, and long, heavy DAO trigger pull make accuracy a questionable proposition, which limits fun when plinking. The short barrel also makes it loud by .22 standards, and the low profile of the barrel--and, therefore, the slide--has resulted in slide bite on a few occasions... something I've never experienced with any other gun. Like the Walther, it struggles to feed the first cartridge out of a full magazine.

Last edited by idek; September 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.03843 seconds with 8 queries