View Single Post
Old April 5, 2011, 09:35 AM   #13
duckdude

Remington 788 .243 Win.

I don't know Dave...I'm no expert but I've been fortunate in shooting a lot of deer, antelope coyotes and some hogs with different calibers / rifles, back east and out west. Started young, now in my 60's...and have made a few observations..simple to me but I told my grandson the same thing, think he gets it.
I've dropped that class of game with 22 cal. (22-250),243,257,270, 7mm Mag,30-30,30-06, .338....heaviest ran about 225 lbs., longest shot a little over 300 yds., closest 68 yds., (30-30..dropped in his tracks..literally) and what I believe it comes down to is a piece of metal flying through the air and doing it's business once it gets there. Bullet construction, placement is everything..in my mind.
Deer are not tough, thin skinned, light bones..we have a steel (deck plate) deer - cut out, full size, 1/4 inch...we put it out at 100, 200, 300 and occasionally at 400 yds...have a swinging replaceable round 12" "kill plate" in the vital area, anyway...ALL of those calibers, with the right bullet, hunting bullets (not FMJ) - will zip right through that plate like a laser, some will at 200 yds. +...with the exception of the 30-30 (big deep dent).
But I agree, chest (lung) shot deer I've shot will usually run...I don't know about a 1/4 mile, but I saw a heart shot hog run quite a way. So these days I try to break a shoulder if I have the shot..with any caliber. I've dropped more game with an old model 70 06' than others, but favor a .257 Roberts these days, fun, less recoil, very accurate. My 14 yr. old grandson took a large boar with that rifle, 117 grain Hornady...guide thought it might be a little "light", he made the shot off sticks...went in behind the shoulder, through and broke the off side shoulder and kept on going. Hog took about four steps and fell on his nose. 194 yds. by rangefinder. He's been shooting since age 6. Lot of rabbits...dove, duck, pheasant....and targets.
Anyway...lot of gibberish just to say I think we have all the "power" we need for deer / antelope in any of the generics (24's, 25's,7's,30's) ..with the right bullet in the right place. Never shot an elk...hope to before I die....if I do I'll use the .338. Go for a shouder shot. Sorry for the long write...too much coffee. Good hunting! Ken

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 8 queries