Thread: .243 or 6.5/55
View Single Post
Old January 3, 2008, 06:16 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
I'll probably get into reloading it later on down the road but in the meantime i'd want high quality match ammo at the high end and some cheap and cheerfull ammo for fun.
+1 Picher

I agree totally about getting the .308 because of this part of the post. The .308 will offer you more ammuntition choices for range work, hunting, and plinking. I own the 6.5X55 and .243 and if you have to buy ammunition that would rule out the 6.5 for me as the .243 will be more common and cheaper. Match grade ammuntion for target shooting, quality hunting ammunition, and surplus ammunition makes the .308 more appealing as a one cartridge does it all rifle.

About the 160 grain bullets in the 6.5X55 they mainly come in round nose design, I say this because I haven't found a spitzer or semi-spitzer yet (I'm sure some customs are made some where). So I'd probably stick with 140 grain bullets or less in a sptizer for better performance. A 140 and 160 grain bullets seem extremly long to me, and it is amazing what an extra .5mm in the 7mm does to change the shape of these bullets of equal grains. You will probably find 120 grain plenty for deer and still offer you adequate long range performance on paper.

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries