View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Bill Carson

Shooting the 55.....

got out of the shop early this saturday. took the m1855 type 2 and my rigdon&ansley metalic conversion to the range. the 55 is something I'm relatively new at shooting. I've worked several different loads, but not with favorable results. this time I tried a 576 ashcan, molded from lee. then sized them through a 576 die. the mold produced quite a variance in size. lube- bees wax, lard, olive oil. powder charge, 35 grains of goex 2f, caps, dynamit nobel. first target was 25 yards, at paper. first round hit 12 oclock 3" high, the next 6 were in the 8 & 9 rings. the last took out the center. next I tried a 80 yard silhouette of a bear. all 10 rounds hit square. last ,100 yards, didn't go as well. 3 clangs, 7 have no idea. all shots were fired off hand. the 55 is an arime sport repro that I rebuilt last nov. the r&a is built up from a uberti 51 navy with a r&d 6 pin cyl. and yes I do have to take it apart to load and unload it. I can do this in less than 40 seconds. I'm ok with that. I wasted 18 rounds on a turkey silhouette that was in the weeds. then went back to paper at 25 yards. my last 6 shots placed at 6 oclock about 2" under the black. the r&a and my 51 london navy both use 38 colt brass, federal primers, 15 grains of goex, the 375 heeled conicals are molded from a lee double mold. same lube. the london navy I've been shooting for (I think 5 years now). got to aim about 8" low but it put will all 6 shots in the black. same conversion as the r&a . I did have do a fair amount of work to make them function smoothly . well that was fun. hope you thought so, too.

Page generated in 0.03267 seconds with 8 queries