View Single Post
Old January 4, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
chewie146

Remember that pressure is really the function there and not the heat of the powder in and of itself. The pressure and duration of the intense heat on the barrel would be more important. The blank adapter would increase pressure, allowing the rifle to cycle, but to the same degree as loaded ammo? I don't know for sure. Friction would also be a factor, I would think. I've not messed with blank rounds much, but if you're seeing that kind of fouling from them, I can think of one of two problems with them. The first would be that the rounds are using a dirtier powder, as the manufacturer isn't worried about accuracy. The second would be that maybe the lack of back pressure from the lack of a bullet in front of the expanding gas would lead to less complete combustion. This is all, of course, theory, hypothesis, guess, and what I thunk. The blanks are most likely not black powder, as the fouling from that would end the firing before that belt ran out. Check out some of the G&A videos (I'll try to find a link) of them testing black powder shells in a modern, semi-auto shotgun.

Page generated in 0.02268 seconds with 8 queries