View Single Post
Old November 24, 2010, 03:29 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Agree with that it is a tough call. There was someone doing Mauser heat treating specifically years ago, but I can't recall the name. If you find someone who did that regularly, they might know the alloy well enough by your make and model year. But this is specialized work. You might try Jim Caudill (a.k.a., The Mauser Man). 740-965-2185 is the last number I had for him. I don't believe he does this kind of work, but having specialized in building Mausers would likely know if such a person is available. He might also give you a second opinion on your receiver strength. Your pressures are low and your case cross-section near the head is intermediate (.422"), so bolt thrust should be about like a .30-06 firing at 32,000 psi. But you need to check with someone more experienced with Mausers than I am to know where the line is drawn.

About the only other thing that occurs to me is that double heat-treating may work out on your receiver if the alloy can't be determined. Hatcher's Notebook describes the process, which was the intermediate method for Springfield receivers between the old hand heat treating and the nickel steel versions. Since the process draws the core metal back to about 1300°F, it is hard to imagine any alloy that would still shatter after that. A big concern with any kind of post production heat treating, though, would be distortion. You need someone skilled at it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 24, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries