View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
REDBULL600

I guess, first what Weapons system are we talking about?

Shotgun/rifle or handgun?

What I did when I first got my handgun and a GunVault bedside safe, I practiced quickly getting out from under the covers, punching in the code and drawing the weapon and light (my gun won't except a weapons light so training shooting one handed is a must for me), I would do this with my eyes closed. Then with my wife we would drilled out our plan of attack; Gun/light/phone/down the hall flipping the hall light on, confirm child in bed and is not the source of suspicious noise/family enclosed in room and dial 911. I do not intend on "clearing the house" not yet. That training course is at the end of the month

Now that I have my Carry Holster, I carry around in the house. I often empty the gun and practice "Dry" drills. Drawing and getting to cover. I usually do this when I am home alone and do so in situations that we would be most vulnerable; ie sitting at the dinner table or in the kitchen cooking etc. I've just shouted at my kid like a drill sergeant to move to a safe room and grab a phone on the way while we play commando with the nerf guns.

I suggest getting snap caps/dummy rounds for any and all "dry" practice. They are super cheap, amazon.

Also, something I am working on (and I got this off of the PDN) is an "action" Belt or vest. What it is is a tactical belt or vest that has lots of goodies on it; ie first aid kit, extra mags/ammo, a place for phone, light and anything else you can think of that you may want/need in the event of an actual event that will require action. I now keep an old pair of shoe that I can slip on quickly and can run in if needs be by the bed.

Please don't just think of HD scenarios, but also of emergency ones. Fire, tornado etc. That is how we evolved our HD strategy, from our Fire drill. It is virtually the same drill but with a Gun.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Carry on. Andy

Page generated in 0.03784 seconds with 8 queries