View Single Post
Old June 22, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...wondered if I can have him buy the gun for me (making it a used gun, correct?),
Correct--and also making it a straw purchase-- a violation of federal firearm law.
Quote:
...just wanted to know if I can buy a gun in a private party transfer from a resident in another state.
To legally buy a handgun from a private party out of your state, by federal law, the gun must go to an FFL in your state and then be transferred to you via the normal process involved in purchasing a gun from an FFL (NICS, 4473, etc.).

However, under CA law I don't think that the FFL can accept shipment from out of state on a gun that's "unsafe" per the list. That would put him in the position of importing an "unsafe" gun into the state for sale.

I'm not really "up" on CA firearm law, but I think the only way you're going to get an "unsafe pistol" (per the CA list) into CA legally is to a.) find one that's used and currently owned by another CA resident and buy it from him in a private transfer or b.) move to another state, legally establish a residence there, purchase the firearm and then move back to CA with your firearm.

Better yet, since you're bound to find another gun you want that's not on the approved list, maybe the move back would be unwise.

Page generated in 0.03542 seconds with 8 queries