View Single Post
Old April 7, 2014, 10:05 AM   #282
speedrrracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62coltnavy
Kachalsky, Peruta, Drake and Woollard all address the constitutionality of a "may issue" law.
I don't see where in the Peruta opinion the constitutionality of a may issue law is addressed.

In fact, Peruta counsel were very careful to consistently claim they were NOT challenging the law, and in fact no laws were struck down, only a sheriff's policy.

The Peruta opinion says (I've read it a coupla times now...IANAL, but the verbiage in the opinion seems pretty darn clear) -- because CA had outlawed open carry, restricting concealed carry (and this is the important point) via policy (again, not law, policy) to the point where Joe Average cannot get a LTC for self-defense (again, a big point, the whole decision is basically that Sheriff Gore must accept "self-defense" as good cause, not that requiring good cause is unconstitutional), is unconstitutional.

Maybe they're still inapposite, but to claim that Peruta "address(es) the constitutionality of a 'may issue' law" seems very inaccurate to me.

Page generated in 0.03174 seconds with 8 queries