View Single Post
Old February 16, 2022, 01:39 PM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
So, assuming it’s now a free for all to sue every manufacturer till they no longer exist and thus no need to worry about the 2A getting in the way anymore?
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one in this forum. I CERTAINLY will bow out and recommend we get some advice from several REAL legal experts that regularly contribute to this forum.

That said, I guess I'd go with the old saying that anybody CAN sue anyone for anything but your chances of winning vary.

This case was tossed out by a Connecticut judge but on appeal to the Connecticut Supreme Court the suit was reinstated. The case went to the Supreme Court which decided not to hear the case so the case was set to go forward and then Remington (bankrupt Remington) and the families settled.

As others have mentioned:
There was no court ruling on the case.

1. Had the case gone to trial Remington might have won.
2. Other suits against other companies in other states might not get past the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA).
3. The Remington/Sandy Hook lawsuit was about the way Remington marketed the gun, that is, the advertising they used. (Which, IMhO, is just plain goofy/idiotic/disingenuous/ whatever.)

Once again, I invite those with real legal knowledge to chime in.

Page generated in 0.02362 seconds with 8 queries