View Single Post
Old May 13, 2013, 02:28 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
I also don't understand why they are pushing so hard for this when only a very small percentage of Americans feel that it should be a top political priority right now.
I believe that something more intriguing is happening: the administration is using it as a club to enforce internal party discipline precisely because it's not high on the priority list of most middle-of-the-road voters. They're playing to the party faithful. I think the administration senses that the current disunity and infighting in the Republican Party gives them an opportunity to pass some of the more audacious programs they want, and they have decided to abandon the pretense of trying to cooperate with the Right.

I think the national Democratic leadership is sending a message to their own troops, and the message is this: "If the President tells you to vote a certain way on a controversial issue, you had better fall in line, or be prepared for us to throw you under the bus like we did to Kelly Ayotte." Note that Ayotte is not up for reelection until 2016, so the current tempest (in-a-teapot) is unlikely to ultimately harm her chances for reelection, but it's certainly made enough waves inside the Beltway to get the attention of every Democrat.

[Edit... this is what happens when I post on a Monday...]

Last edited by carguychris; May 13, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: ooopsie

Page generated in 0.03314 seconds with 8 queries