View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Chinny33

the 2nd most popular AR-15 caliber is the 6.8 SPC. the 300 blackout is popular-ish, but is still a baby when it comes to cartridges. The 6.8SPC has been around since ~2002? I have an Ambush 6.8 for hunting. Uses specialized magazines. Its a pig killer for sure. Uncommon around local gun shops. Great choices online for ammo. Has a cult-like following. Personally its a great sub-300yd round. I wish it could reach out and touch more. The bullets fail in B.C.

The 6.5 Grendel is a fantastic round also but is highly specialized as a short action high velocity cartridge. Again, very new to the scene. 2012 SAAMI accepted it. Standardizing a round has the potential to make it a great seller. With the extra space for powder, the chamber supports higher pressures, which can lead to throat erosion quicker than a 556/223. Expensive, uncommon round. Utilizes specialized magazines. SUPER high B.C. bullets. I would choose this as my next option personally.

.458 SOCOM. Its my midwest whitetail hunting round. Many states that only allow shotgun slugs only, also allow the .458 SOCOM. Im pushing the same bullets a 45/70 uses to CLOSE the same FPS. Uses standard magazines. Expensive, almost impossible to find off the shelf. The brass alone cost me $0.80/rd. Super easy to reload.

very important to note that I reload. If you dont reload, I feel sorry for you spending money buying ammo off the shelf and throwing the brass away.
Proverbs 27:12

Page generated in 0.05154 seconds with 8 queries