View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Sevens

Nearly ANY and/or ALL handloading, if you get right down the economics, has the ability to cost LESS than factory ammo bought at retail.

Keep in mind that if you are talking EXPENSIVE factory ammo (let's say, .44 Mag or .500 S&W Mag), then you can save a huge, huge percentage off factory ammo at retail.

When you try to put the the economics up against 9mm and .40 S&W, it's a much closer race -- 9mm being the single cheapest centerfire reloadable-cased (non-communists milsurp import crap) ammo on the planet, and .40 S&W not far behind. 9 & .40 are the cheapest because of the incredible popularity of the two, they sell heaps and heaps of it, so they can price it a bit cheaper.

But the reality for someone who does not yet handload and it considering it is quite simply: How much money can you SPEND to get your costs down?
I'll put it another way:
If you go to get supplies and you purchase 100 primers and a pound of the right powder and 100 bullets, you are going to be paying more for your handloads even if you are getting your brass for free and your tools are paid for.

If you want to SAVE money on your ammo, you need to buy your primers 5,000 or 20,000 at a time, buy your powder in 8 pound jugs and buy your bullets in batches of 1,000 to 5,000 at a time.

5,000 primers? Figure $150.
8 pounds of powder? You'd be doing well to snag that at $130.
The best prices on those items come from ordering online, and you'll pay $25 hazmat and you'll pay $15 shipping to get those prices.

Jacketed bullets? 9mm, I think you can get around 3,000 of them from Montana Gold for just over $300.

Bottom line: If you have a .44 Mag or a .30-06 and you want to learn how to handload for purely economic reasons, you'll need startup funds but your ammo will save you money in the long run and it won't take too many loaded rounds to see it.

If you only want 9mm and .40 S&W, and your heart isn't in it and you don't have hundreds of dollars to buy your components in bulk... you won't be saving any money any time soon. Unless you are a competition handgun shooter and you literally need many thousands of rounds per month.

If that's the case, your startup costs will be even higher, but your break-even point will come sooner.

Page generated in 0.03436 seconds with 8 queries