View Single Post
Old January 20, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

suggestions for lubing the unhardened internals of old top break revolvers ???

over the course of this last winter, I've accumulated a dozen or so old top break revolvers, of various manufacter, & barrel length... again, all will need to be at least "shootable" ( I have a thread in the reloading section describing my "pop gun" loads using round balls & Trailboss powder )... which is giving me a good "test for function" starting load, & maybe the chance to develope a good safe load to shoot in these... they are pretty equally devided between 32 & 38 S&W...

... most of these guns are early enough that the internal parts are not hardened at all, & thus are subject to wear, much more so than modern guns... I'm wanting to find a couple of each caliber that are strong enough shooters that they could be semi regular range guns... they are a real "hoot" to shoot ( sorry about the Iver Johnson owl head grip pun )

...to best maintain these "shooters" I'll be wanting to flush out the insides & relube all the contact surfaces with a good non gumming lube... looking for suggestions for cleaning out the insides ( I use automotive break cleaner alot for modern guns, but don't want to screw up the old nickel on some of these, & usually use Rem Oil for lubricating... just curious what others might suggest has worked well for them... thanks

Page generated in 0.02115 seconds with 8 queries