View Single Post
Old October 27, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I own an arabian mare, and used to right her everyday around the mountains near my home. She is a great horse, but as arabians can be, UNPREDICTABLE!! Sort of like riding a time bomb, that you never know when it will go off. She was steady, but spooked easily at certain things. One of them being mountain lions, animals she could not name, and bears.

So i wisely figured that I would not be carry a rifle in a scabboard. I figured that if we came upon a big cat or bear, she would probably buck me off, and head as fast for home as possible. So I carried a sidearm, strapped in, so when I ended up on the ground, facing the wild critter, I might have something on me!

Never came across a bear or cat, but got bucked off a few time (bareback) and rarely lost her, but had some wild tangles trying to calm her down on some encounters. There was a wild ram that lived in the mountains. He never was sheared, so he looked like a walking boulder with wool hanging down to the ground. Although we owned a ewe who was buddies with the Jenny, the arab didn't recognize it as such and freaked. It took about a mile of walking with her to calm her down.
For this reason, I always prefer a sidearm to a rifle. Not only that, I'm a better shot with pistol than rifle, believe it or not!

Page generated in 0.05765 seconds with 8 queries