View Single Post
Old August 11, 2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Bosshoff

Claude, we don't get gunshows in our neck of the woods. Redworm will have to travel to Kane County Fairgrounds near St. Charles, and thats only about four times a year. I only go if I'm low on beef jerky. Redworm, how old are you, and do you have a car? If the answer is over 18, and yes I have a car,then great. First thing first, go to the Gurnee Police station, and pick up an application for a F.O.I.D. card. (Firearms Owners Identification Card.) yeah I know it sucks, but WE have to deal with it. Go to Walgreens, get two passport photos taken, get it notorized, signed by a parent if underage? Then send it in. No one in the state is going to show you anything in a store without this FOID card. The stores just get hassled too much to do this. A huge store which always has a great selection is in Dundee called G.A.T. Guns. It stands for Guns, Archery, and Tackle. The help can be hit or miss. Try to get an older guy help you at the rifle counter, and avoid the cop wannabees. I would seriously consider a high quality bolt action 22LR. If you buy a NICE rifle like a Remington, Browning, CZ, etc. you will NEVER regret the purchase. If you buy a crap rifle, you will kick yourself down the road. Get some lessons at G.A.T. See if they will throw them in with the purchase of the rifle. Buy some ammo from them,and a pair of Peltor brand earmuffs as well. These may be overkill for rimfire use, but again getting good equipment first saves $$ in the end. I would start out with open or Iron blade type sights. Once you get good with the rifle, you can put a scope on it. Again, don't go too cheap on the scope. Buy the best optics you can afford. Obviously within reason I would look for a 4X or four power fixed model. Spend more than $50, but less than or near to $100 if possible. This does not include the base or rings. I have a bolt action CZ 452 "American" model. It does not have iron sights, so I will not recomend it to you, but I think they make a "LUX" model which has sights, and may even come with scope rings? You cannot go wrong with a CZ rifle. I think they are a great value. PM me anytime if you want to ask me a question. There is a ton of honor in joining the Marines, Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03499 seconds with 8 queries