View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 04:54 PM   #33
Bart B.

Reynolds, none of my classic controlled feed Win. 70's with Mauser style extractors hold a case off the chamber shoulder when they fire.

First heard of this thing decades ago. Later I ran tests with cases at minimum SAAMI case headspace in chambers with maximum SAAMI chamber headspace for both rimless and belted bottleneck cases. All had enough clearance from bolt face to extractor lip for cases with minimum SAAMI spec rim thickness. Some were with external extractors (early Win. 70's, 98 Mauser, FN Mauser, M1903, Ruger 77) and some with internal ones (Rem 7XX, post '64 Win. 70, Paramount, and a couple others I now forget). None held case heads back far enough to fire primers and their headspacing shoulder not touch the chamber headspacing shoulder. My indicator to see if bottleneck cases headspacing on their shoulders did not have their shoulder hard into the chamber shoulder was marking dye on the case shoulder. They all had chamber shoulder imprints on their shoulders. Folks believing otherwise should blacken primed case shoulders, slide the darned things into the bolt face, chamber them then shoot them. If the blackened shoulder shows no marring from shoulder impact, then the extractor did hold the case back.

Only if the case headsapce dimension was way, way too short, would an extractor hold the case back and fire primers without headspacing points stopping case movement forward in the chamber.

I disagree with your accuracy prediction of such poor rifle design and manufacture on being sub barn broad side in size. They'd be closer to the 10 acres of pasture the east side of the barn.

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries