View Single Post
Old January 20, 2010, 05:34 PM   #6
The Tourist

Here I go, being a heretic...

I'm a Smith guy, and I've owned most of the 29-models they make, including a nickel-plated one, and one with a 2.5 inch barrel.

Loved them all, and I still own a 629-5, the best revolver I have ever owned, that's why I still have it.

What's it "good" for?

Well, for me, the concept of "good" means 'good fun.' And many of Wisconsin whitetail have fallen to the .44 Rem Mag since handguns were allowed for hunting.

For a short span I believe our Dane County Motor Officers were allowed to carry 29s. That's twenty years back, I believe.

However, if "good" means 'useful' as in an essential tool, you can pretty much get along without it. I don't think it was ever really the most powerful commercial cartridge, even in the hey-day.

As for handguns in hunting, I think the single-shot Thompson Center series was more accurate.

Obviously most LEOs can successfully get along without it.

I have read stories in gun magazines where at least one Viet Cong was killed with a 29. But other than that singular event, I doubt it has proved to be a military weapon.

You'll never get mine, however. With a linotype Keith 429421 and a reasonable load of Alcan AL-8, I'll take your money to about 150 yards--and even more if I lay down "Keith style."

But I don't need it, and much of the world also gets along without it.

Page generated in 0.02763 seconds with 8 queries