Thread: Lucky Group?
View Single Post
Old August 27, 2013, 12:31 PM   #6
603Country

dahermit asks why we don't ever use 1 shot groups. Well..I do...right before hunting season. It's that last cold bore, lightly fouled, 'just to be sure' shot. Then the gun goes back in the safe.

And, regarding the 3 shot groups, it you put 3 shots into a tiny little group and do it again and again, it isn't luck. You have a good rifle and a good shooting eye (as my grandpa would say). That said, I'm a reloader, hunter, and paper puncher. I'm not a long range or competition guy, so my needs differ from many of ya'll.

And I will admit...though it pains me to say it...that there have been some very small and very fine 3 shot groups I shot when I decided that I'd just stop at 3. Not messing that group up...No sirree...Don't want that dreaded flyer to show up. (that gives Bart B the opening to now say that "there's no such thing as a flyer", but to me it's a flyer and will remain so.)

Bottom line is that I like to shoot, and a good 3 shot group is nice to see. So is a nice 5 shot group. I stay away from the 10 shot groups. Seems a waste of ammo to me. And my old 220 Swift will shoot nice small 3 shot groups again and again. Ain't luck.

Page generated in 0.03021 seconds with 8 queries