View Single Post
Old November 1, 2007, 01:02 AM   #22
RevolvingCylinder

Sure are a lot of Soldiers on this board(thought I was one of the few!). I too prefer the M16A2 as a general purpose rifle. But... shorter rifles are a must in urban environments. We also make use of mounted patrol more than we used to. The M4 is mighty handy especially with all that gear hindering mobility. The loss in velocity from the shorter barrels probably isn't such an issue since we're engaging targets at closer ranges in these environments anyhow. I can't vote for either myself since I like 'em both equally. They're both best suited for different roles/environments.

Try picking up an M4-type AR15 sometime and you'll see what I mean. As for which stock to get for your personal AR, get what you like. Even better is to own one of each type(AR15s are addictive).

MGJ, the time will come again as it always does. Won't be for some time though.

The XM8 was killed because of reliability problems and the fact that it didn't do anything the M16/M4 series couldn't do at least as well(the latter could be said about the HK416 as well). If we keep the 5.56 round, maybe a bullpup would negate the barrel length vs. OAL issue. Either way we're not gonna see a new rifle or even a new pistol for some time.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries