View Single Post
Old September 13, 2017, 08:13 AM   #64
zukiphile

Skepticism about the motives of elected office holders is healthy; cynicism is less so. Metaphorically throwing one's hands up and declaring them all the same is a resignation of one's own position to irrelevence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Roberts
The GOP has had the greatest success in the last 100 years by being perpetually offended and ineffective. Why would they wish to change that?
Is that true? At a Congressional level, repubs were only marginally relevant in most sessions from the early 1930s to 1981. Since then they've reduced tax rates, enacted RFRA and NAFTA, stood uniformly in opposition to the ACA and kept open a seat so that Gorsuch could fill it. They've not done everything I want, but that doesn't translate to an absence of efficacy.

Quote:
We have very reasonable requests supported by NRA and yet the sponsor of the bill tells us House and Senate leadership won't let it out of committee.
I'd like to know why. I don't expect to learn what the calculation was until after this term, but Id want to know the reasoning employed.

Quote:
The GOP feels zero need to deliver for us because we are now a captive voting bloc with nowhere else to go. Considering the overlap between Trump voters in the Rust belt and the NRA, you'd think the Dems would exploit that wedge but they are too busy trying to out-Commie the next Dem nominee.
I concur with the sentiment that the dems at the national level are more ideologically cohesive than they have been for most of their history. That ideology doesn't allow a home for a number of fairly middle of the road positions, 2d Am. issues included. That's a strategic problem for them, but also a source of strength for their remaining elected members.

Quote:
We have a good product and we can deliver the votes. The key is we need a bidding war because right now there is only one party at the auction.
A bidding war with whom?

I have never had the antipathy for McConnell that some of my federalist colleagues sometimes demonstrate. He stood against the Garland appointment when even some here were calling for the Senate to hold hearings and a vote. He doesn't employ a lot of over the top rhetoric, but in terms of content he has a a record in the senate on 1st and 2d Am. issues that few senators can match.

I understand frustration, yet I resist the impulse of political movements to eat their own.

Page generated in 0.02064 seconds with 8 queries