View Single Post
Old October 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Marco Califo

Catfish, You are correct that WC872 (by itself) is not suitable for 308, because it burns too slowly. I don't know if you noticed in the previous posts, but this thread is about using Duplex loads: more than one powder in the same load. Hence the obligatory warning in bold.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

The theory and proven practice involves, for example, two powders, one main charge and a smaller igniter charge (at the primer). Then full case capacity is used to minimize mixing. This has made these very slow powders useful for cast bullet shooters http://www.castpics.net/default.html who have published certain data there.
I am performing some experiments based on published practice to try to identify other useful uses for this very slow, very cool burning, and very inexpensive powder. Specifically, I have tested duplex loads in 308 and 223. I have not found a perfect load yet for either, so far a heavy igniter of WC844 under WC872 in 223 with 75 grn bullets has worked best by far.

Page generated in 0.02853 seconds with 8 queries