View Single Post
Old February 15, 2017, 01:27 AM   #11
bamaranger

stories

Oh sure, once .......and I know some LEO's who failed to load/reload their sidearm on duty, and another who failed to even carry/holster a firearm after dressing out and attending squad meeting. As follows.....

-I'd descended from a high shooting house and unloaded/lowered my rifle to do so. I hunted on foot at another stand all afternoon, and at twilight had a group of deer appear. (doe season). I lined one up and pressed off....click. I'd reinserted the magazine, but not chambered a round. I slowly worked the lever as the deer split away in two's and three's, when I got one chambered, there was one critter left....and I made a dandy shot. Lucky.....and that was the last deer I killed while hunting with my Dad, he laughed at my story all the way home.

-at one duty post I worked, a Ranger and a State Cons officer had a bad experience with a pack of dogs. When the shooting was over, the Ranger, who only did LE as a collateral duty, failed to fully reload his revolver. Error was discovered a day or so later when he took time to clean the weapon.

-on another assigment, I was standing a traffic post, waiting to be relieved. Every thing at this big urban park was foot patrol. I could see my relief man ambling up the busy street a couple of blocks away....big tall lanky fellow. He really stood out with the classic Ranger flat hat on his noggin. As he stood on the opposite side of the street, waiting to cross to me, I noticed that his holster ( duty belt, full dress uniform) was empty. When he walked up, I pointed out that he was not in full uniform. He never said a word. We walked back together to the gun lockers, where he drew his sidearm. It was a strange arrangement. That park, at that time, did not allow You to carry the gov't firearm off duty. Firearms were prohibited in the locker room. You dressed, then went to the gun lockers and retrieved your revolver from where you'd deposited it the shift before. The gun locker was not big enough to hold a full duty belt, just a drawer arrangement big enough to hold a K frame.

Page generated in 0.02023 seconds with 8 queries